Sunday 31 May 2009

Babies, Bathwater and the BNP...

It's not very often I feel moved to write about politics, but I find myself growing increasingly concerned by the extent to which the upcoming European Elections are being overshadowed by the issues over MP's expenses.
Don't get me wrong- I am totally in favour of a thorough police investigation, of reform of the system that allowed this greed, of MP's no longer being able to create their own rules in matters such as this- knowing that power corrupts, we really need to save them from themselves. And when I think of the £400,000 (give or take) in salary, pension benefits and expenses that the European Parliament members are entitled to, with never a receipt in sight, I know reform is badly needed there too.

But, could we postpone our anger for a few days, please?
Just until after Thursday?

I only ask, because at the moment there is a real danger of the BNP winning seats. And if they do, they are going to be there, in power, representing us, for the next five years.
It's not easy to understand how the proportional voting system works in European Parliament, but essentially, your vote counts more in some ways than in our national elections. It is within your power to prevent the BNP from winning seats.

The UK is divided into 12 regions for the purposes of this election, and my region is the North West, which includes Liverpool, Manchester and Lancaster. If the BNP win in this area, we will be represented by, amongst others, Nick Griffin, chairman of the BNP, convicted of distributing material likely to incite racial hatred (a magazine denying that the Holocaust took place), Martin Wingfield, arrested, prosecuted and imprisoned under the Race Relations Act following distribution of racist literature and Eddy O'Sullivan, who after posting comments so vile on his facebook page that even his hate ridden party threatened to suspend him, defended himself by saying, "It was supposed to be a private conversation. I also may have had a drink at the time. I don't believe those comments are racist."

I do not want these people to represent me. But I can't stop them on my own. So, people, I'm begging you- whatever you think about politicians, however angry you are, please, please choose to use your vote. There are plenty of options- if you're protesting that you don't want to be in Europe, vote UKIP; if you want to protest against the three main parties, vote Green- use this guide if you need some help choosing. Just don't protest by not voting, not this time.


Here is some really helpful information about voting.
It's apolitical,but anti-extremist. It's only one page long. Have a quick look.

And here is what our ballot paper will look like in the North West.
You just have to mark an 'x'. It will take seconds.

Thursday June 4th.
Thanks.

If you want to see what the ballot paper in your area will look like, or to download (free) copies of the 'euro-vote' flyer, go to makemyvotecount.org.uk

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear hear, Sarah!

Robbe Law said...

Well said Sarah

edhat1 said...

Wel;l done Sarah, we have to rid the world of the BNP facista, with their lies and sheer hatred of others. x